Personal alcohol and entertainment licence

A personal licence allows you to sell or supply alcohol at a premises that has a valid premises licence.

Apply for a personal licence

The council is the licensing authority. Apply to us for a licence.

To apply, download an application form (PDF) and send it to:

Licensing Team
East Ham Town Hall
328 Barking Road
East Ham
E6 2RP

Before you apply

Before you apply for a personal licence you must have an accredited licensing qualification. This helps you to understand your responsibilities as a licence holder so you can sell, or authorise the sale of alcohol legally and responsibly.

You must also have a basic Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check

You can apply for a Basic Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service - GOV.UK (

For more information email

Fees for personal licences

The fee for a personal licence is £37.

Licensing committee decisions

If there are no objections to your licence application, and you filled in the form correctly and followed the correct procedure we will give you a licence.

If the Police object to your application, our Licensing Committee will decide whether to give you the licence. You will need to come to a hearing, give evidence and answer questions. 

The Committee will listen to the evidence from both sides before deciding whether to give you the licence.

Changes to your personal licence

If you already have a personal licence, you need to tell us immediately if you:

  • Change address
  • Change your name
  • Have relevant criminal convictions.

Contact us if you need more information.