17 years old

Stage/factor More information
Applying for university / Support to access higher education

Young people who are aged 18 or over can apply to attend university. If they want to take this path, it is important to research things like entry requirements, subjects, fees and different universities. Find out more on our post-18 learning page.

You can search for the right university course for you and apply via the UCAS website.

Financial support is available through loans to all university students. Find out more about financial support and apply on the gov.uk website.
Giving blood

Once young people turn 17, they are eligible to give blood.

This involves donating blood so that it can be used to help treat people who are unwell and urgently need new blood of the right blood group.

The process is simple, quick and saves lives.

Find out more about how to donate and who it involves the blood.co.uk website.
Learning to drive

When people turn 17, they can legally learn to drive.

To do this, you will need to apply for a provisional driving licence and take driving lessons. Find out more about learning to drive on the gov.uk website.
Register to vote At 16, you can register to vote via www.gov.uk/register-to-vote You will need your national insurance number, this can be found on your NI card, employee payslip or correspondence from HMRC.

Find out more about voting on our How to Vote page.

Youth Empowerment Fund

The Youth Empowerment Fund is a grant to support young people in achieving their ambitions.

It provides financial assistance to help them buy the resources, training or equipment required to learn and develop skills in the things they are passionate about.

Find out more about the Youth Empowerment Fund.

School Health Service

Our school health service aims to support children and young people from five to 19 years and their families, to enable them to reach their full potential.

We offer information and support in the following areas; emotional health and well-being, managing complex and additional health needs, monitoring growth and development and support with growing up and preparing to become an adult. 

Find out more about School Health Service


Keep your child's growth charts and health records from the NHS with you wherever you are.

eRedbook stores information about immunisations, health reviews and screening tests securely in the cloud so they are always at hand. 

Access your child's NHS health records quickly and easily through eRedbook once your child's record is connected to the NHS.

If you are worried about your child’s development, please speak to your Health Visitor or GP.

Find out more on the eredbook website.

Newham youth map

Search the Newham Youth Map for libraries, sports and physical activities, parks and outdoor spaces, youth organisations and event Newham. Created by Young People for Young People.

Newham Youth Map