Barnardo’s London Supported Lodgings Service comes to Newham
Do you have a spare room?
Do you have the skills to help a young person leaving care, at a crucial time in their life? Barnardo’s are currently looking for people living in and around Newham to offer a room and support to a young person to help them develop the skills they need to live independently.
By welcoming a young person into your home and providing emotional support, you can help them prepare for adult life. They may need support with things like finishing their education, finding longer-term accommodation and help to develop life skills such as cooking, housework and budgeting – from anywhere between eight weeks and two years.
How does it work?
- Barnardo’s expertly match hosts with a young person, to make sure it’s a good fit;
- Hosts don’t have the same financial responsibility as a parent or foster parent;
- Each young person and host has their own support worker;
- Barnardo’s give hosts a weekly payment, ongoing support, training and guidance throughout the assessment process;
- The length of time a young person is with their host varies, but most lodgings are for between eight weeks and two years.
Can anyone apply to be a Supported Lodgings host?
Potentially, just about anyone can help a young person. If you have a spare room and the time and desire to offer practical and emotional support, you’re exactly who Barnardo’s are looking for.
Whether you are single, in a couple, have a family, full-time, part-time or not employed, you can be a host. The only requirement is that you can commit the time to support a vulnerable young person and that you are over 21 at the time of application. All applicants are subject to a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.