Anti-social and nuisance behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour can include a wide range of nuisances, disorder and crimes which affects people's lives on a daily basis. It can feel and look different in every area and to every victim. What might be considered anti-social by one person, might be considered acceptable to another.

The Home Office describes Anti-Social Behaviour as, 'any aggressive, intimidating or destructive activity that damages or destroys another person's quality of life'.

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) can cover a wide range of incidents and is dealt with by a number of different agencies. If ASB is not dealt with appropriately and in a timely manner it can have a devastating impact on the lives of individuals, families and communities.

It is widely recognised that single agencies cannot tackle ASB alone and must work in partnership to address the issues.

Issues that can be considered as ASB include:

  • Rowdy, noisy behaviour in otherwise quiet neighbourhoods
  • Night time noise from houses or gardens, especially between 11pm and 7am
  • Threatening, drunken or intimidating behaviour
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • Litter and fly-tipping rubbish
  • Aggressive begging
  • Drinking in the street
  • Abandoning cars.

What is not Anti-Social Behaviour?

ASB can be difficult to define, and although often annoying, there are some types of behaviour that are not classed as anti-social:

  • Children playing in the street or communal areas - unless they are causing damage to property
  • Young people gathering socially - unless they are rowdy, inconsiderate and being intimidating to individuals
  • Being unable to park outside your own home
  • DIY and off road car repairs - unless these are taking place late at night or early in the morning
Report Anti-Social Behaviour

Report by phone

You can also call our Enforcement and Safety Team on 020 8430 2000.

If you feel you are in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

The Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams deal with:

  • Anti-social use of vehicles
  • Rowdy and nuisance behaviour
  • Street drinking and anti-social drinking
  • Begging
  • Criminal damage/vandalism
  • Drug dealing
  • Misuse of air guns and inappropriate use of fireworks.
Newham Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams

Contact the Police 

In an emergency – call 999

Non-Emergency – call 101

You should contact the Council for issues with:

  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Discarded drugs or drugs paraphernalia
  • Graffiti
  • Litter, rubbish, fly-tipping and fly-posting (unless you are witnessing fly-tipping, in which case dial 999)
  • Noise nuisance
  • Street trading
  • Street drinking/anti-social drinking (where related to premises selling alcohol)
Contact the Council

You should contact your social housing provider regarding:

  • Noisy tenants
  • Tenants committing anti-social behaviour