Anti-social and nuisance behaviour

Noise problems and reporting


Find out about the types of noise problems we can investigate and how to report them. 

We can investigate a variety of noise complaints, including: 

  • Loud music and parties 
  • Unreasonable noise from pubs, clubs, bars and live events 
  • Persistently noisy neighbours 
  • Noise from building sites or building works outside of permitted hours. Please view our permitted hours on the pollution control: building and demolition sites page.
  • Persistent noise from an animal(s)
  • Unreasonable from ventilation fans or other such equipment. 

Think before you make a complaint about noise 

If you are affected by an ongoing noise problem, you should consider first these steps: 

  1. Try to address the issue in a friendly way by talking to the person or company causing the noise, if you feel comfortable with this. 
  1. If this does not deliver the outcome you want, you could try taking other informal steps such as mediation.
  1. If you are unable to resolve the issue yourself then report to it us using the on-line form below. 
Report an ongoing noise problem 

What happens next?

On receiving an incident report we are likely to request additional information and may require diary sheets to be completed, detailing the days, times, nature and impact on you of the noise nuisance. 

Once we have the information we require the complaint will be assessed.

Should we need to visit you / your premises, we will contact you to arrange a suitable time with you.

Our staff will always show you their Newham Council identity card when they knock at your door. 

Our service is confidential. We will never give out your details. But note that our staff will visit you in uniform and come in marked vehicles. They may also come with a uniformed police officer. 

Type of action we can consider: 

  • Going directly to the person causing the problem and ask him or her to reduce the level of noise.
  • Sending the person an advisory (warning) letter 
  • Giving the person a noise-abatement notice (a legal order for the noise to stop) 
  • Giving the person a fixed-penalty notice (fine) if he or she breaches the noise-abatement notice (£100 for residential property or £400 for business property) 
  • Seizing the equipment making the noise 
  • Taking legal action in the Magistrate’s Court, which could lead to a fine of up to £5,000 for residential property and up to £20,000 for business property.