How we use your personal data
The Council takes your privacy very seriously and will never disclose, share your personal data without your knowledge, unless required to do so by law.
We only retain your data for as long as is necessary and for the purposes specified in this notice. Where you have consented to us processing your personal data, you are free to withdraw consent at any time.
The purposes and reasons for processing your personal data are detailed below:
- Ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer/device
- Verify your identity
- Ensure the data we hold about you is accurate and up to date
- To process job applications
- Deliver services and support to you
- Manage those services we provide to you
- Investigate and respond to complaints
- Train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
- Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your services
- Keep track of spending on services
- Check the quality of services
- To help with research and planning of new services
- Notify suppliers and local authorities about your new property and about any property we have purchased from you in part exchange
- Provide you with information, products or services that you request from us
- Notify you about changes to our services
- To support and maintain our network, systems and applications
- Manage and support the Mayor and Councillors enquiries
- To comply with legal obligations to process and share data with government agencies, statutory bodies, police and health
- To comply with contractual arrangements to provide services for the Council
- To comply with security requirements.
There are a number of legal reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information.
Generally we collect and use personal information where:
- You, or your legal representative, have given consent
- You have entered into a contract with us
- It is necessary to perform our statutory duties
- It is necessary to protect someone in an emergency
- It is required by law
- It is necessary for employment purposes
- It is necessary to deliver health or social care services
- You have made your information publicly available
- It is necessary for legal cases
- It is to the benefit of society as a whole
- It is necessary to protect public health
- It is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes.
If we have consent to use your personal information, you have the right to remove it at any time.
If you want to remove your consent, email [email protected] and tell us which service you’re using so we can deal with your request.
We only use what we need
Where we can, we’ll only collect and use personal information if we need it to deliver a service or meet a requirement.
If we don’t need personal information we’ll either keep you anonymous if we already have it for something else or we won’t ask you for it. For example in a survey we may not need your contact details, we’ll only collect your survey responses.
If we use your personal information for research and analysis, we’ll always keep you anonymous or use a different name unless you’ve agreed that your personal information can be used for that research.