What is council tax and who should pay it?

Joint responsibility

If there are two or more people living in your home that meet the same description in the hierarchy e.g. joint freeholders, they will be both be responsible for payment of the bill. This means that we can seek payment in part or full from all, or any one of the people required to pay council tax.

Married couples and those living together as husband and wife or as civil partners are also jointly liable, whether or not they have an equal interest in the property.

It is important that if more than one person is named on your bill, you make arrangements between you to ensure we receive the full payment on time.

Students are not jointly or severally liable (where there are more than two people named on the bill) in cases where they live with non-students.