Council tenants home contents insurance

How it's designed

Our home contents insurance is designed to give our tenants peace of mind. If you are a council tenant, you can insure the contents of your home through us, as long as your rent payments are up to date. There is no excess payable for this insurance policy.

What’s covered

Simple cover

  • Most of your household goods and contents including pedal cycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home. The policy covers loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood.
  • Lost or stolen keys, freezer contents, your own legal liability to the public and the cost of alternative accommodation.
  • Improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors, but not greenhouses or conservatories.


  • Simple+ also includes accidental damage cover.

You can get more details about the insurance policy and/or a copy of the policy booklet by emailing [email protected] or calling us on 020 3373 3256.

Pay your home contents insurance

How much you pay will depend on the level of cover and your postcode.

To make it easier for our tenants, you can pay the insurance premium weekly with your rent. You can pay by direct debit, online or with your payment card.

There is no excess for this insurance policy.

If you get Housing Benefit, it will not cover your insurance premium payments.

Apply for home contents insurance

To apply for home contents insurance, print off our contents insurance application form (PDF) and send it to:

Resident Services
London Borough of Newham
Bridge House
320 High Street
 E15 1EP

If you don't have a printer, we can send a form to you. Call us on 020 3373 3256.

Claiming on your home insurance

If you have arranged contents insurance through us, you can make a claim by contacting the claims administrator on 0845 671 8171.