Due to the current lockdown, the Archives and Local Studies Library is closed until further notice. Please visit this page for further updates. Please email any enquiries to [email protected].
At our Archives and Local Studies Library in Stratford, you can access a range of local archives to find out about the history of Newham and its people.
You can search a range of information sources including:
- Local newspapers
- Local authority records for Newham council and our predecessors including, East and West Ham county borough councils – dating from the 17th century to today
- School and hospital records
- Electoral registers, trade directories, census returns and some parish registers
- Historical local maps
- Books and printed leaflets on local history
- Photographs and illustrations
We also have a large collection of artefacts which are not on display. You can make an appointment to see them. Our artefacts are also available for loan and include:
- Archaeological material
- Paintings and illustrations
Make a booking to use the archives
You need to make an appointment to use the service, and give us some information about what you are looking for. You can do this by emailing us at [email protected] or by calling 020 3373 6881.
Appointments are available at the following times:
- Tuesdays 10:30am to 1pm and 2:30pm to 4:00pm
- Thursdays 10:30am to 1pm and 2:30pm to 4:00pm.