Newham is at risk of flooding from tidal and river sources, and from flooding due to rainfall.
Be aware of storms and flood risks
We encourage all residents to remain vigilant and take steps to protect themselves from the risk of flooding.
The following resources can help you be prepared:
- Call Floodline on 0345 988 1188 for up to date flooding information
- Sign up for flood warnings at www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings or by calling Floodline on 0345 988 1188 or Typetalk 0345 602 6340.
- Visit the Environment Agency website which contains details of river level and flooding information
- Follow the Environment Agency on Twitter for updates @EnvAgencySE
- Report any flooding in your area to Floodline on 0345 988 1188
Protecting your property from floods
If a flood alert or warning is issued for your area, you can take a number of precautions to protect your home or business and to minimise the damage.
- Use silicone sealant on doors and windows - smear a layer around the frame, then shut and lock them
- Turn off gas, electricity and water at the mains
- Unplug all electrical items and store them upstairs, or if you do not have an upstairs then place them high up on shelves or cupboards
- Put the plugs in your sinks and then weigh them down so they cannot move, to stop the drains backing up
- Move as much furniture as you can upstairs or raise them up on bricks or blocks
- Move furniture away from walls - this helps when drying your property later
roll up carpets and rugs and put them upstairs
- Remove curtains or hang them up over the rail so they are kept above flood water
- Remove internal doors and store them upstairs or leave them open
put any sentimental or irreplaceable items upstairs or on high shelves or cupboards
- Keep important personal documents, including your home insurance documents, in a sealed bag, and in a location safe from floodwater.
- Cover doors, windows and airbricks with plywood, sandbags or metal sheeting
- Move dustbins, garden chemicals, gas cylinders, or anything else not fixed down, to a safer location
- Move your car, motorbike, or any other vehicle to higher ground to avoid risk of damage
- Weigh down manhole covers outside your home to prevent them floating away and leaving a hazardous hole.