Health and safety regulation and inspection
Find which types of businesses in Newham we regulate and inspect, and which types of businesses are regulated and inspected by the HSE.
Businesses we regulate
We are responsible for:
- Retail premises including shops, hairdressers and builders’ merchants
- Leisure premises including cinemas, theatres, art galleries, museums, gyms and swimming pools
- Hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation.
Businesses regulated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are responsible for:
- Construction sites
- Schools and universities
- Premises owned or run by councils
- Doctors’ surgeries and hospitals
- Residential accommodation
- Central government buildings
- Railways, Docklands Light Rail and the London Underground
Supermarkets, food shops, restaurants are regulated and inspected by our Food Team.
Late-night bars and clubs are regulated and inspected by our Licensing Team.
Report accidents at work online
Fatalities and major injuries must be reported by phoning the Incident Contact Centre or using the HSE’s out of hours service. All other accidents can be reported via the Health and Safety Executive website.