Health and safety at work

Reporting accidents at work

Reporting accidents at work is a legal requirement. The information helps us and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to find out how and where risks occur, how accidents happen and to investigate serious accidents.

What you must report

If you are an employer, self-employed or you are in control of work premises you have a legal duty under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) to report certain work-related accidents.

You must report:

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • Over-seven-day injuries - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • Some work-related diseases
  • Dangerous incidents - where something happens that does not result in an injury but could have done.

GasSafe registered gas fitters must also report dangerous gas fittings they find, and gas conveyors and suppliers must report some flammable gas incidents

A report must be received within 10 days of the incident.

Find out more from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) about what you must report.

Report accidents at work online

Fatalities and major injuries must be reported by phoning the Incident Contact Centre or using the HSE’s out of hours service. All other accidents can be reported via the Health and Safety Executive website.

Telephone: 0845 300 9923