When you do DIY construction work, the waste you create is not considered under national law to be household waste. You must have authorisation from us, in advance, to take this type of waste to Jenkins Lane.
We aim to respond to you within two working days.
What is restricted?
- Any rubble, plasterboard and other DIY or building materials
- Roofing materials and insulation
- Large carpets
- Windows and doors
- Kitchen units, worktops and tiles
- Sinks, bathtubs, toilets and other bathroom units
- Soil and sand
- Structural wood, timber and flooring
- Fencing and garden sheds
- Radiators and plumbing
If you think your items are restricted, you must follow these rules.
1. Request authorisation for restricted item disposal
For each visit you need to fill in our restricted waste authorisation form to ask for an authorisation letter to take your restricted waste to Jenkins Lane.
The authorisation letter will only be valid on the day you requested for your visit.
We will need you to tell us:
- What type of waste you want to tip and where it comes from
- The registration of the vehicle you will be using
- The day when you would like to take the waste to the centre.
Our staff may need to inspect the waste before you take it to Jenkins Lane.
2. Take your restricted waste to Jenkins Lane with your ID
You must take your driver’s licence or a Council Tax statement as proof you live in the borough when you visit the Jenkins Lane Centre.
The system at the Jenkins Lane centre partly based on car registration. If you hire a car or van to take your waste to the centre, be aware that someone may already have used it to deliver restricted waste. Make sure you bring the hire agreement with you so you can show it to staff when you arrive.
If you intend to borrow a car or a van from a friend or relation, ask if the vehicle has been used to take restricted waste to this site. Any restrictions on the vehicle might affect you regardless of who used it before.
3. Observe the frequency rules
As a resident of Newham, you can visit the site to deliver restricted items on two days in any 12 month period if you have received authorisation to do so.
Once you have no free tipping days left, there will be a charge at commercial rates which you can pay by credit or debit card only at Jenkins Lane.
Alternatively if you are doing a lot of DIY or construction work, you should consider getting a skip.
Asbestos disposal by appointment only
You can dispose of asbestos at Jenkins Lane as long as it is double-bagged and wetted by appointment only. To make an appointment, call Renewi Waste Management Ltd on 0800 389 9918.