Educational psychology

When does an educational psychologist get involved?

A school or nursery (if they have chosen to buy a package of support from our service) will ask for a consultation with an educational psychologist if they are concerned about a child’s general learning, behaviour or emotional development.

Before a school or nursery refers a child to the Educational Psychology Service (EPS) they will discuss their concerns with the parent or carer and ask for their written permission before making a referral to the EPS.

If you have agreed for your child to work with an educational psychologist, you will invited to a consultation meeting, along with a school representative(s), representatives from other support services and the educational psychologist.

You can contact the educational psychologist at any time during this process.

Ask to see an educational psychologist

If you are worried about your child’s learning, behaviour or emotional development and you would like to speak to an educational psychologist about him or her, you should ask at your child's school or nursery to speak to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO).