warning icon
Technical difficulties​We are currently experiencing technical issues with our online Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction & Council Tax form. Customers are currently unable to submit these forms to the Council. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope to have the fault rectified as soon as possible. Essential systems maintenance this Friday evening This website may experience intermittent disruption from 6pm tonight, Friday 16 August, while we upgrade our systems. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.​​​​​​

Freedom Pass

The Freedom Pass gives older and disabled residents free travel on almost all public transport in London.​​​

Older persons Freedom Pass

If you are aged 60 or over and live in a London borough you can get free travel on buses, tube, Docklands Light Railway, trams and most National Rail trains in London.

Depending on your age, you will need to apply for either a: 
Use the London Council's eligibility checker to find out which pass you can apply for.

Renewing your older persons Freedom Pass

Visit the London Council’s Freedom Pass website to find out how to renew your pass.

Lost or not received a renewal letter?

If you have lost or not yet received your letter, you can call London Council’s Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local rate) to ask for a replacement letter. Lines are open Monday to Sunday, 8am to 8pm.



Disabled persons Freedom Pass

Freedom Passes expiring on 31 March 2018

If your Freedom Pass is due to expire on 31 March 2018, you do not need to do anything as your new pass will be sent to you.  

We will only contact you if we require further information from you, prior to your pass being renewed. 

If you receive a letter from us, it is important that you carefully read and follow any instructions on how to renew your expiring Freedom Pass.  

Failure to do so may result in your pass being deactivated and you will be required to pay for any future travel. ​

Where and when you can use a disabled persons pass

You can use a disabled persons Freedom Pass to travel for free on most public transport in London at any time and most National Rail trains in London (except on some trains during rush hour).
You can also use it on local bus services anywhere in England (except at peak times).

Who can get a disabled persons Freedom Pass?

You can apply for a Freedom Pass from us if you are an adult or a child, living in Newham and you:
  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a significant learning disability
  • would be refused a driving licence because of a medical condition (such as epilepsy

Apply for a disabled persons Freedom Pass

PO Box 71568 
E6 9LQ

Note, we only accept applications by post.

Proof of identity, residence and medical information

You will need to send with your application:
  1. a recent passport sized colour photograph taken against a light, plain background (your face must not be covered and you must not be wearing a hat, unless it is for religious or medical reasons)
  2. a copy of a proof of address document such as a utility bill, benefit letters, rent book
  3. a copy of a proof of identification document such as a driving licence or passport
  4. any medical information that you think will support your application for a freedom pass.

Appealing or making a complaint about a disabled persons Freedom Pass

If you want to appeal or complain against a negative decision, you have the right to appeal up to one month after we made our decision

What you must tell us

When you email us, you must say why you are appealing. You must also upload any new evidence you may have to support your appeal, such as current medical evidence. Do not upload information already submitted with your application, as this may result in your appeal being rejected.

What happens next

We will look again at your application and make a decision or refer your case to an occupational therapist working on our behalf, to look at. We will contact you by email to inform you of our decision.

If you wish to make a complaint about how we have dealt with an issue, you have the right to make a formal complaint​ which will be dealt with us​ing our complaints procedures​. 

Lost, stolen or damaged passes 

Please note that from 1 April 2018 the charge to replace a lost or damaged Freedom Pass increased from £10 to £12.
If your pass has been stolen or you have lost or damaged it, this can be replaced online by visiting the London Councils website. Alternatively, you can contact the London Councils Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local rate). Lines are open Monday to Sunday, 8am - 8pm.

If you have lost or damaged your pass, you will be charged a £12 administration fee for a replacement and will need to have either a debit or credit card to complete this. 


Veterans Oyster photocard

If you served in the armed forces you might be eligible for a Veterans Oyster photocard from Transport for London (TfL). You can use the photocard to travel for free on most public transport in London and some National Rail trains.
You can apply for a Veterans Oyster photocard if you get:
  • ongoing payments under the War Pensions Scheme in your name (this includes widows, widowers and dependants)
  • Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme in your name (this includes widows, widowers and dependants)
Back to top