warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Market trading and licences

Newham has a number of  vibrant and diverse indoor and outdoor markets that sell a variety of goods. New traders are always welcome to apply and you do not need to have prior trading experience. We offer discounts for new traders.

If you wish to trade in a market in Newham, either as a full time or casual trader, you must have a street market trading licence. On this page you can find out more about street market trading licenses.

A market stall selling fruit and veg

​Before you apply for a licence

Depending on the market, you can rent full time or rent a casual pitch (renting by the day). Visit our market pages to find out what type of trading is available and how much it costs to trade:
Trading opportunities, particularly full time ones, are limited. So before you apply for a licence, you must check with us whether it ​​is possible to trade at the market of your choice.  ​

​To do this fill in our Expression of interest form (PDF).

Either email the completed Expression of interest form to or send it to:

The Markets Team Office
7 Queens Market
Upton Park
E13 9BA

We will reply to you by email or phone.

Please note that the office opening times are: 
  • Tuesday: 8.30 am-6.30pm
  • Thursday: 8.30 am-6.30pm
  • Friday: 8.30 am-6.30pm​
  • Saturday: 8.30 am-6.30pm
You will be contacted by a Market Specialist with 7-10 working days of receipt of your inquiry.

Apply for a licence

If we tell you that there is an opportunity to trade at one of our markets, we will ask you to fill in our Street market trading licence form.

Return it to the Markets Team in person at:

The Markets Team Office
7 Queens Market
Upton Park
E13 9BA

You will also need to bring with you:
  • the £25 licence fee
plus the original copy of:
  • three recent proofs of address such as utility bills, bank statements (dated within three months)
  • two recent passport sized photographs that must be signed on the reverse when you visit the Markets Team office
  • your passport or proof of entitlement to work in the United Kingdom which must be valid for at least 6 months
  • a food hygiene certificate if you wish to sell food
  • a document showing your National Insurance Number such as a payslip or letter from HM Revenue and Customs
  • public liability insurance (minimum £5,000,000) which must be valid for at least six months from the date of your application.
Your public liability insurance must be valid for six months if you are a  casual trader and 12 months if you are a full time trader.
Back to top

Contact us

  • Markets Team
    Unit 7
    Queen's Market
    Green Street
    Upton Park

    020 8475 8971

    Email us