warning icon
For the most up to date service disruptions and information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow these links

Planning enforcement

If you think that someone is building without the council's permission, report it and we will investigate.

Man in hard hat on phone on a building site

Search for planning enforcement cases and notices

You can search for planning enforcement cases on the Public Access website.

We hold a planning enforcement (Section 188) register, which contains information relating to:
  • enforcement notices
  • stop notices
  • breach of condition notices.
If you would like a digital copy of the register, email us at

​Building without planning permission

The complaints we investigate include:

  • building or engineering work without permission
  • changing the use of land or buildings without permission
  • not meeting planning conditions
  • working on listed buildings without consent
  • displaying advertisements without consent
  • land or buildings which, because of their condition, cause problems for local people and businesses, for example vandalised or abandoned buildings.

We decide whether to take action, but we use the Government’s Planning Practice Guidance, and our own Planning Enforcement Guide and Direct Action Guide to guide us.


Additional planning controls: Article 4 Directions

If you wish to:

you will need planning permission before you can extend or alter your home in a way that would normally be allowed under permitted development

These additional controls are called Article 4 Directions.

If you are not sure whether you need permission, contact the duty planning officer.


If you think someone is developing land in Newham without our permission, report it online.
Report a possible breach of planning
You can also call the duty planning officer on 020 3373 8300 (between 9am and 12 noon, Monday to Friday) or you can write to us at:
Planning Enforcement
London Borough of Newham
Newham Dockside
1000 Dockside Road
E16 2QU
Please make sure that you give full details and the location of the site. If you don’t we might not be able to investigate the problem.

So make sure you include the following information:
  • address of the property or land in question
  • details of what you think is wrong
  • your name and contact details
  • any other information such as photos.
You cannot report anonymously unless you have a special reason for not giving your details and have explained this to us.

Confidentiality in planning investigations

When we investigate we will not give out your details at any time during the investigation.

If the case is serious it may lead to a court case or an appeal, so we may ask you to be a witness. We will only ask you if we think your evidence is crucial to our case. This is rare, and normally it is up to you whether you want to be a witness or not.

What Planning Enforcement can't help you with

Boundary or party-wall disputes

We cannot help you with these types of dispute, for example where there is a shared boundary and a new extension intrudes onto land next door. Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for information.


Blocked highway

This type of problem might involve a shared driveway or private access road. It is illegal to block a highway. Contact the Metropolitan Police to report a problem.
Back to top

Contact us

  • Planning Enforcement
    London Borough of Newham
    Newham Dockside
    1000 Dockside Road
    E16 2QU

    Email us