Stillbirth registration

A still birth should be registered at a register office within 42 days.

How to register a stillbirth

In the event of a stillbirth, a doctor or midwife will give the parents a certificate to bring to the register office.

It is free to register a stillbirth. We offer a walk-in service at East Ham Customer Service Centre, 328 Barking Road, E6 2RT.
Every stillbirth in England or Wales must be registered as quickly as possible in the district in which it took place. The funeral can only take place with the permission of the registrar of the district in which it happened.

If the stillbirth occurred in Scotland or Northern Ireland or any overseas country the registration will have to be made in those countries.

Information needed to register a stillbirth

The following information is needed:


  • date and place of the stillbirth
  • name and surname, if the parents wish to name the stillborn child
  • sex of the baby.

Father (where this information is to be entered in the register)

  • name and surname
  • date and place of birth
  • job at the time of the stillbirth or, if he was not working at the time, his last job.


  • name and surname plus her maiden surname if she has ever been married
  • date and place of birth 
  • job (optional), if she has been employed at any time before the stillbirth
  • usual address at the date of the stillbirth
  • date of marriage, if married to the baby's father at the time of the stillbirth 
  • number of other children by the present partner and by any former partners.
The registrar will enter the information on to a computer and you will be asked to check that it is correct.
If English is not the first language of the parents they can ask a friend or relative to help register the birth. However, the parent(s) must also be there, as a relative or friend cannot register instead of them.

Certificate for a stillbirth

The registrar will give you a small certificate showing the baby's names, date of the stillbirth and district, together with a form to allow the funeral to take place.

Registering a stillbirth by Declaration

If you are unable to get to the register office in the district where the stillbirth took place, you can give the information to a registrar in another district.

If you are a resident in Newham and are unable to go to the appropriate register office, it is possible for us to forward the details for you to the register office concerned.

The registrar in Newham will record the details on a form of declaration and send it to the registrar for the district where the stillbirth occurred. The registrar who receives the declaration will enter the information into the Stillbirth Register and can issue the certificates.

If a declaration is made, it may take a day or two longer for the document for burial or cremation to be issued. The family should discuss the arrangements with their funeral director and the registrar so as to avoid any delay to the funeral.
Back to top