Aspers Good Causes Fund
The Aspers Good Causes Fund was set up by Aspers Casino and Newham Council to support community projects which help residents to build confidence and skills and improve community life in Newham.
The fund opened in 2012/13 to any organisation working in the fields of education, art, dance, music, sport and the environment. 117 projects have since been successful in receiving awards. Those funded during 2019 are listed below
The 2021 programme is now open for applications, for small grants up to £1,000 or larger grants up to £7,500. You have until 5pm Friday 22 October 2021 to apply.
Organisations should be based or working in Newham, and projects proposed must benefit borough residents. If your application is successful, you could receive up to £7,500 as long as you can demonstrate that your project:
- offers value for money
- is inclusive and open to all
- helps residents and communities become more active and involved
- contributes to the quality of life of Newham residents
This year applicants have a choice about applying for a small grant, under £1,000. These applications will be considered separately for part of the funding, with a total of £8,000 reserved for these lower-cost projects. Please use the same form to apply.
Who should apply?
Preference will be given to projects that:
- Support people through coaching, tutoring or access to new opportunities in one of the eligible fields of activity.
- Provide exceptional life building experiences working with a project or activity in these fields.
- Enable people to develop new skills and/or practice and improve skills, building their confidence and knowledge.
- Allow people to participate in projects where there may otherwise be financial barriers to their involvement, by keeping charges at reasonable levels.
- Provide positive and engaging activities which build confidence and enable people to widen their experience and interests.
- Support residents to organise their own activities and encourage others to get involved in their local community.
- Provide activities that can become sustainable and led by residents in the longer term.
- Engage residents who have not previously been involved in these activities.
Previously successful organisations can apply again this year but this must be for a new or different purpose. The specific projects that were funded before will not be eligible for a further grant this year. Aspers is unable to provide ongoing funding to any project.
How do I apply?
You can submit your Aspers Fund application anytime before 5pm on Friday 22 October 2021 using our Aspers Good Causes Fund application form (Word). Please read our guidance notes (PDF) before you begin.
To apply, either email the application to [email protected] or send it to:
LBN Community Grants Team
Strategic Commissioning & Community
London Borough of Newham
1000 Dockside Road
Aspers Good Causes Fund Grant Awards 2019
|Organisation||Project||Amount of money awarded (£)|
|282 East Ham Air Cadets||Squadron Summer of Fun||£4,500|
|Alternatives Trust East London||Alt-Ed Talks for Young People||£6,750|
|Community Action Newham||Community Music||£870|
|Eastside Community Heritage||Sussed Out||£6,480|
|Food Academy UK||Training Community Organisations for Healthy Lifestyles||£6,300|
|Forest Gate Community Garden||Community Plant Nursery & Market Stall||£998|
|London Youth Rowing||Active-Row Open Club||£6,444|
|Memorial Community Church||50+ Active Tuesdays||£5,004|
|Newham Chinese Association||Keep Active and Connected||£6,750|
|Newham Music||Full Circle: Remixed||£6,750|
|Newham Super Choir||Newham Super Choir||£975|
|Richard House Children’s Hospice||Activity & Support Days||£6,675|
|Stratford Arts Trust||100 Tickets – accessible theatre ticket scheme||£999|
|Thames21 Environmental Activities in the Royal||Docks Area||£6,300|
|Theatre Royal Stratford East (Pioneer Theatres Ltd)||Paines Plough at Theatre Square||£6,750|
|Ursuline Links||Newham Activity Week||£1,000|
|Young Gamers & Gamblers Education Trust||Community Steps||£6,686|