What is council tax and who should pay it?

Students and council tax

If you are in full-time education, you are exempt from paying council tax. If you live in private rented accommodation, rather than student halls, you or your landlord will be required to provide  a completed student form and a valid student certificate.  If other household members are not students, they will be liable to pay council tax, unless they are entitled to a discount.

For more information, please have a look at people exempt – or disregarded – from paying council tax.

Apply for Student exemption or disregard