Care homes

Nursing homes

BSL Support

There are many different types of nursing homes available in Newham where a number of people live together.

Individuals are looked after by trained nursing staff and carers who are available 24 hours a day.

All registered nursing homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). If you are looking for a home yourself please visit their website that has general information and copies of their latest inspection reports.

Who can go into a nursing home?

Nursing homes provide nursing care for people over the age of 18 and who have nursing needs and are unable to remain living at home due to:

  • Physical or cognitive impairment
  • Sensory loss
  • Frailty
  • Illness.

We can arrange an assessment of your needs, including your nursing care needs, to be undertaken by a Social Care Practitioner and a nurse.

They will advise you on the choices available so that you can decide how you wish your needs to be met. However, your choices may be restricted by the nature of your health and care needs.

Can I choose my own nursing home?

If, following the assessment, we agree that a nursing home is the best place for you to live, we can:

  • Provide a list of the nursing homes that would meet your needs
  • Tell you whether they have any vacancies.

If there is no one to advise you on your choice we can arrange for an independent advocate to provide information, advice and guidance.

We encourage you, your relatives or carer(s), to make a considered decision by visiting the homes to see if you would be happy there.

How much does it cost?

The cost of nursing homes vary, depending on the type of facilities provided and the amount and type of care you need. Some staff will be qualified nurses and this means that the charges are higher than in a residential care home.

Can I get help with the cost?

Help towards the cost of a nursing home placement is provided in part by the NHS and in part by the Council.

Everyone assessed as requiring a nursing home to meet their nursing needs is entitled to a contribution of £187.60 per week from the NHS regardless of their income or savings.

This is known as Funded Nursing Care (FNC) and is paid directly to the nursing home.

You may be entitled to financial support from the Council to cover some of the remaining cost if you are assessed as requiring a nursing home.

We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

How to get in touch

The Access to Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries.