Training, activities and events
Many carers find that having an activity outside of caring is essential to their own well-being. It gives them a break from the demands of caring and helps boost their self-esteem.
Newhams Intergrated Carers Support Service
For many, caring is a rewarding and positive experience, but for others without the right help and support, caring can feel overwhelming.
You do not need to wait until you are struggling or there is a crisis to ask for support. Carers FIRST provides an integrated carers support service, this means they offer support to all carers from the age of 5 and upwards.
Carers who would like support can refer themselves, or may be referred by a school or professional who knows the family with their permission. The service can help with:
- Tailored information, advice and guidance, including specialist support for young carers aged 5-18
- Opportunities to talk in detail about your caring role and co-produce a plan to support you, linking into other local services
- Accessing and preparing for a carer’s assessment
- Support with conversations with people and services including GPs, social care and hospitals
- Practical training to help with your caring role
- Supporting families to maximise household income by providing information about welfare benefits and financial support
- Access to groups, activities and our Carers on-line forum so you can meet and chat to others in a similar situation to yourself
- Regular contact by telephone, CarersFIRST website and on-line chat, monthly e-bulletins and regular “What’s On” guides containing details of groups supported by Carers FIRST and other organisations and
- Support you to plan for now, the future and emergencies.
Carers First also run “virtual” drop-in sessions on Wednesday evenings 6-8pm. You can visit their website and click on the “Chat to Us” button and a member of the team will be there to talk to you.
Newham Rise can help if you:
- Are worried about the drug or alcohol use of someone you care for
- Would like to talk to someone about how another person’s drug use is affecting you.
Newham Rise provides a range of support to families, individuals and carers in Newham affected by drugs and alcohol.
Services include family, couple and individual therapeutic interventions such as:
- Carers' support group
- Drugs and alcohol awareness
- Carers' assessments
- Parenting support
- Evening clinic: 5pm-7pm.