Supported accommodation

Housing Related Support

BSL Support

Housing related support is:

  • Time limited
  • Lower level support
  • Aimed at helping vulnerable people regain, maintain or achieve independent living
  • Not limited to any type of housing.

Can be delivered in:

  • Supported accommodation settings (accommodation based support)
  • Your own home, (floating support).

The purpose is to enable people to remain living in the community, or to help move onto more independent living.

Support is provided through voluntary organisations and Newham council in its sheltered services.

Accommodation based support can include:

  • Refuges for women fleeing domestic abuse
  • Supported accommodation for people with a learning disability/mental health issue.

Support workers can help you to access opportunities and learn to do activities important for independence.

These include:

  • Getting a job
  • Managing your home or tenancy
  • Paying your bills
  • Managing your health.

Housing Related Support is NOT personal care and will not help with tasks such as:

  • Bathing
  • Feeding
  • Washing.

Therefore not suitable for people with personal care needs. If you need help for such tasks, you need to access a social care service.

Who can access Housing Related Support?

Housing Related Support services may be of benefit to people with:

  • Mental Health support needs
  • A learning disability
  • Autism.

Who can make a referral to Housing Related Support?

Services are only available to Newham residents assessed as having a Housing Related Support need. Please contact the Access to Adult Social Care team if you would like to be assessed.