The London Borough of Newham are preparing to transform accommodation-based support services for residents by improving the quality of accommodation to enable residents to live long and healthy lives.
The council’s ambition is that:
- Accommodation is welcoming and is designed to feel like a home, rather than an institution.
- Accommodation based services are provided in psychologically informed accommodation, which has been designed to promote recovery and independence.
- Accommodation is designed around Residents needs, allowing them to live more independently with lower care requirements.
- Accommodation is built to high accessibility standards so appropriate additional adaptations are easy and affordable to install.
- Residents in supported housing have the most secure form of tenancy compatible with the purpose of the housing and the client’s needs and circumstances.
In addition to the above progressive standards, the minimum standards for accommodation include the following:
- Accommodation meets all legal requirements
- Comply with local council and statutory buildings regulations
- Comply with House in Multiple Occupation management duties and licensing standards.
These minimum standards closely follow the Private Sector Housing Standards in the Housing Support Approved Accommodation Standards.
To enable us to meet the council’s ambitions, we are developing an accommodation list for building/s that have met the required accommodation standards, and those that have been approved by the council for use. This list will be published on the council’s website and made available on the agreed digital platform to manage accommodation.
The establishment of this Accommodation List is not a procurement process.
Benefits of admission to the Newham Accommodation List
- Opportunity to deliver Supported Living services for Newham as part of the upcoming Supporting Vulnerable Adults Dynamic Purchasing Vehicle (DPV).
- All accommodation based Supported Living services under the DPV will need to meet the accommodation standards required by Newham Council and be on the Accommodation List.
The council intends that its future Supporting Vulnerable Adults Dynamic Purchasing Vehicle (DPV) procurement process will utilise the Accommodation List and this will be a pre-requisite for the Supported Living Category.
There will be future market engagement events for the Supporting Vulnerable Adults Dynamic Purchasing Vehicle (DPV) and the market will be notified of these through Find A Tender and Contracts Finder.
The council welcomes accommodation providers to also attend the market engagement events to better inform themselves of the council’s intention for the Supporting Vulnerable Adults DPV and to network with support providers.
Process for joining Newham Accommodation List
Support providers with suitable accommodation / landlords of supported accommodation properties in the London Borough of Newham who wish to be admitted to the accommodation list are invited to apply by completing the application form and returning to Siaccommodation@newham.gov.uk
You will need to:
- Complete the application form in full with all the required information
- Provide a record of the property inspection from London Borough of Newham Private Sector Housing Standards Team
- Have a valid licence.
Accommodation based outside of Newham will be required to provide evidence that they meet Licences arrangements from the hosting borough. Properties located outside of NEL, will need to check local borough website for licencing requirements.
For more information on North East London (NEL) Borough’s see links below:
Hackney - Property licensing | Hackney Council
Tower Hamlet’s - Landlord Licensing Schemes (towerhamlets.gov.uk)
City of London - City of London | London Property Licensing
Redbridge - Redbridge - Apply for a property licence
Barking & Dagenham - Private rented property licensing | LBBD