Self-funding when moving to a care home

BSL Support

A self-funder, is the term we give to someone who pays the full cost of their own care and support. As a self-funder any residential care contracts will usually be between you and the care home directly.

If you are a self-funder we can still help you with information and advice on arranging your care and support.

Self-funding will apply to you if you:

  • Have decided to move to a care home without an assessment from Newham Council
  • Would prefer to pay for the full cost of your care yourself without any financial help from Newham Council
  • Have had an assessment of your needs but do not meet the criteria for financial help from Newham Council because your capital (savings and assets) is above the current 2023/24 national maximum capital limit of £23,250
  • Are eligible for social care services and have chosen not to have a financial assessment.

How much money can I have before I am responsible for funding my own care?

The current threshold set by the Government is £23,250. If you have over £23,250 in capital and savings (or your share of joint capital is over £23,250) you will be expected to pay in full for your own care.

Under certain circumstances, self-funders may be able to get help from the NHS towards paying for their nursing home fees, through continuing healthcare, or NHS-funded nursing care.

What help is there for self-funders?

Even if you pay for your own care and support, you can still benefit from contacting us.

As a self-funder you are still entitled to have an assessment of care needs. We will look at your specific needs and identify services which can help you.

We can also do a financial assessment to see if you are eligible for council-funded care and support, or are likely to become eligible in the future.

Even if you have over £23,250 and are a self-funder, there are still lots of ways we can help you including:

  • Information about local services
  • Help from us to arrange your care and support. We have a responsibility for safeguarding adults from harm and will deal with all issues of abuse whether you are a self-funder or have council-funded care and support
  • Services which are not chargeable
  • Access to non-residential care and support services which could be charged at a reduced rate
  • Deferred Payment Scheme - so you don't have to sell your home during your lifetime to pay your care home fees.

You can contact the Financial Assessment Charging Team directly for more informaton.

What is a Deferred Payment Agreement?

If you are a self-funder and you are in a residential or nursing care home, then you may be eligible for the Deferred Payment Scheme.

This is an arrangement with Newham Council which will allow you to use the value of your home to pay for your care.

We will pay your care home fees for you and you can delay paying us back until you choose to sell your home, or if you prefer, until after your death.

This means that you won't have to sell your home during your lifetime to pay for your care home fees.

Can the council arrange my residential care home for me?

As a self-funder any residential care contracts will usually be between you and the care home directly. However, in certain circumstances, we can help you to arrange this care.