Sheltered and extra care housing

Extra care housing

BSL Support

Extra care housing provides self-contained flats designed for people who require ‘housing with care’. Extra care housing is mainly for people who are over 55.

Newham Extra Care Housing.

In Newham, there are eight extra care housing schemes with differing offers of care and support. Most schemes have a mixture of studio, one and two bedroom properties.

All schemes:

  • Are wheelchair accessible
  • Have a lift where there is more than one floor
  • Have communal areas and a garden.

Eligibility criteria

You must:

  • Be a Newham resident
  • Be over 55 (18+ for Amber Court)
  • Have capacity to sign tenancy agreement or a legal representative to do this
  • Have recourse to public funds
  • Be able to furnish the property, including flooring and white goods (properties are let unfurnished)
  • Have the right to rent and associated documents
  • Need a minimum of 10 hours personal care and be willing to accept the support from our in-house care providers ( for Amber, Cardamom and Hedgerow Courts)
  • Need a minimum of 5 hours care need from all other providers

How much does it cost?

The cost of living in extra care housing includes:

  • The cost of renting your home
  • Your usual household bills
  • A housing service charge to maintain the shared communal facilities
  • A support charge for the care staff and the emergency alarm call system
  • Any additional charges for the care that you may be assessed as needing

If you have care needs it may be possible for you to get help with these costs. We will help you to fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for help.

Depending on your income or savings, you may qualify for benefits to help with the cost of your rent. You may also be entitled to exemption from Council Tax.

How to access extra care housing in Newham

In order to access extra care housing, you need have a Care Act Assessment. You are not able to access extra care housing by contacting the landlord or care provider directly.

The assessment will be carried out to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria set out above and to make sure extra care housing is the best option for you.

If you would like to be considered for extra care housing, please contact the Access to Adult Social Care Team.