Home modernisation

What improvements and alterations can I do?

As a council tenant with a secure tenancy or a leaseholder, you may want to make improvements, alterations and additions to your home, including putting up satellite dishes.

To do this you must get written permission from us.

You should check your tenancy agreement or lease to find out when you need our permission to make improvements or alterations to our home and what work you can do.

Typical works which you need permission for include:

  • Installing laminate flooring
  • Altering the layout of the property
  • Refitting kitchens and/or bathrooms
  • Installing or renewing central heating
  • Adding conservatories and/or sheds
  • Altering or adding fencing
  • Installing security grilles on front doors and windows
  • Installing or changing satellite dishes
  • Dropping curbs for vehicle access
  • Introducing hard surfacing for car parking
  • Rewiring
  • Removing chimney breasts.