Pay your rent

Rent arrears

If you have rent arrears from a previous tenancy, were paid too much housing benefit before 2007 or owe us court costs as a result of legal action, we will add these debts to a sub-account and attach it to your main rent account. This is called a rent sub-account.

You will see your rent sub-account on your quarterly rent statement or letters we send you.

If you have any questions about your sub-account, phone 020 8430 2000 and ask for your income collection officer.

Housing Benefit that was overpaid to you from April 2007 is collected by our Benefit Service and will not appear on a sub-account.

Council housing rent arrears

If you are facing financial difficulties and know you are in rent arrears or think you are going to soon be in rent arrears, you should contact your income collection officer as soon as possible.

We are here to help and can make arrangements with you to catch up with any missed payments, and provide help or advice. Please contact us at:


Telephone: 020 8430 2000 and enter 36427

Please also take a look at the following contacts/links:

Our Newham Money service

Telephone 020 8430 2041