Pay your rent

How we can help you

We will advise you on how to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction if you are on a low income. We will also advise you on claiming other benefits and where to go for more advice on benefits or arrange for you to see a specialist adviser.

Debt and welfare advice

Find advice on debt problems and how to sort them out.

Find out about which benefits you can claim.

What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?

If you owe rent you will not be able to:

  • Insure your home contents with our insurance scheme
  • Rent a garage from us
  • Carry out a mutual exchange of your council home
  • Get a good reference from us for a building society or bank should you want to buy your home
  • Transfer from one council home to another and you may be refused other benefits associated with being a council tenant.

We may take court action against you, which could lead to you being evicted from your home.

Court action

If we take you to court and get a possession order and money judgement, you will:

  • Have to pay our costs
  • Lose the right to buy your home
  • Have difficulty getting credit or loans.

Former tenant arrears

If you still owe money from a previous tenancy or you owe us court costs you will need to repay us.

If you are currently a council tenant we will set up a rent sub-account and attach it to your main rent account.