How we can help you
We will advise you on how to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction if you are on a low income. We will also advise you on claiming other benefits and where to go for more advice on benefits or arrange for you to see a specialist adviser.
Debt and welfare advice
Find out about which benefits you can claim.
What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?
If you owe rent you will not be able to:
- Insure your home contents with our insurance scheme
- Rent a garage from us
- Carry out a mutual exchange of your council home
- Get a good reference from us for a building society or bank should you want to buy your home
- Transfer from one council home to another and you may be refused other benefits associated with being a council tenant.
We may take court action against you, which could lead to you being evicted from your home.
If we take you to court and get a possession order and money judgement, you will:
- Have to pay our costs
- Lose the right to buy your home
- Have difficulty getting credit or loans.
Former tenant arrears
If you still owe money from a previous tenancy or you owe us court costs you will need to repay us.
If you are currently a council tenant we will set up a rent sub-account and attach it to your main rent account.