Empty Properties

What can you do with an empty property?

Newham Council is committed to helping you bring your property back into use and will support you to do this. You have a number of options for your empty property, these include:

  • privately let it
  • offer it for use by Newham Council
  • offer it for use by Homes for Ukraine
  • sell it
  • move into it


You can enter into a contractual arrangement using a tenancy agreement with a tenant directly or by using a managing agent. There are legal responsibilities you have in relation to the standard of the property, licensing the property and around the tenant, rent levels and insurance. You can find guidance on how to let a property in the 'How to Let Guide' found on www.GOV.UK.

Newham Council can assist you to find suitable tenants or may agree to take the property on a lease arrangement for a period of time, which means you are guaranteed rent. There are financial incentives for allowing Newham Council to identify tenants or lease your property.

Home improvement grant 

If your property requires substantial repairs or improvements to make it habitable you may be eligible for a home improvement grant, if you agree to allow the Council to nominate tenants, for at least 2 years at an affordable rent.

To be eligible for this grant the property must have been empty for at least 3 months and be a property in Newham with at least 2 bedrooms.