The curriculum in primary schools
Primary schools must teach:
- Design and technology
- Art and design
- Physical education, including swimming
- Information and communication technology (ICT)
- Ancient and modern foreign languages (at key stage 2).
Schools must also provide religious education, but you can ask to take your child out of the whole lesson or part of it. You can find out more on our religious education page.
Primary schools may also teach:
- Modern foreign languages (at key stage 1)
- Personal, social, health education and citizenship (PSHE)
Tests and assessments
You child will be assessed in both key stage 1 and 2, starting with a Year 1 phonics screening test.
The Government's website tells you when your child will be tested and what tasks they will need to do.