About the project
Newham Council, in partnership with the Royal Docks Team (a joint initiative from the Mayor of London and the Mayor of Newham) is improving the road layout and street environment along the Royal Docks Corridor, which includes Silvertown Way and the section of North Woolwich Road up to Connaught Bridge.
These roads were originally constructed to accommodate commercial and industrial vehicle traffic to serve the historic uses of the Royal Docks. With the Royal Docks Enterprise Zone, a designated area that provides tax breaks and other business incentives to attract foreign investment, 60,000 new jobs and 25,500 new homes are forecast in the wider area. The Royal Docks Corridor, which runs along the south-west boundary of the Enterprise Zone, is integral to the growth of the area. The Royal Docks Corridor project will provide a general uplift by creating new public spaces, wider pavements, separated cycle lanes, better crossings and connections to local destinations, and more greenery and planting. These changes aim to create safe and attractive streets for everyone to enjoy, improving air quality, and encouraging people to be more active and healthy.
The indicative construction programme is divided into five phases shown on the map and timeline below.
The objectives of the scheme are consistent with the Mayor of London’s Transport Strategy and TfL’s Healthy Streets outcomes.
We want to:
- Make it easier, safer and more convenient for people to walk, cycle and use public transport
- Improve air quality and reduce pollution levels
- Reduce the dominance of traffic
- Slow down vehicle speeds
- Provide a much safer environment for pedestrians and cyclists
- Improve access and connections to the DLR stations along the route
- Ensure that bus services run smoothly and are on time
- Include more greenery, trees and planting
- Make people feel safer and more comfortable in the area
- Make the street more attractive and create a ‘sense of place’ so that people enjoy spending time here
What the scheme will look like
The images below are visualisations to show how the scheme is expected to appear. For information about construction start and completion timescales, please go to section 4. Construction programme.
Canning Town Visual
Silvertown Way Tidal Basin Road Visual
Silvertown Viaduct Visual
Britannia Village Visual
Pontoon Dock Visual
Connaught Peninsula Visual