Building control

If you want to build in Newham you might need to get building control approval from the council.

Building control approval is different from planning permission.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Why is building control important?

We apply standards in:
  • building
  • energy efficiency
  • accessibility (ease of use, particularly for wheelchair users).
Our surveyors protect the health and safety of people in and around buildings by making sure that you follow the law during the building process.

Do I need building control approval?

You can find out about the types of work which need building control approval and those which don’t on the GOV.UK website.

The GOV.UK website also has information about work to or near sha​red walls.

If you start building without approval, you might:
  • put the health and safety of the people in the property at risk
  • have to do expensive alterations or demolish the work later
  • have to go to court and receive a fine
  • have problems in the future when you try to sell the property. 

View application and our Building Control staff 

Our officers are on hand to offer advice and assist with technical matters relating to your build. The below officers have allocated postal areas and should be contacted accordingly. Our combined experience and association with relevant institutions and fire service gives us a market leading edge.

ou may trace or view a current/historical application by clicking the below link.

The request for Completion Certificates or Archived files may incur administrative charges. Please contact our admin group for further information.


Reversion applications

You may be aware that a number of Approved Inspectors have not been able to secure insurance to undertake inspection work and discharge with the regulations. Where the approved inspector is no longer operational, and the work is yet to be completed satisfactorily; the project shall revert back to the Local Authority. Please contact the Building Control team who will provide instructions on what to do.

In t
he interim it will be advisable to gather site notes and photos from the previous inspector for our formal review and consideration. Where site notes are found to be deficient and unsatisfactory, we may ask certain elements of structure to be exposed.


Application expiry - three years

Newham Building Control will revoke or close down any applications if we do not receive regular contact from the applicant or project manager within 3 years of receiving a valid application. You are reminded that regular contact should be maintained with the area surveyor and that works should be completed satisfactorily in order for a final certificate to be issued. The time period is 3 years before the application is closed down. No refunds issued.


Application refund

Should you find circumstances have changed or you wish to cancel the application, please email​ .

se note, there will be an administrative charge of £100 placed for any application which is cancelled or withdrawn.

Important: Regularisation Applications cannot be withdrawn/ cancelled.


Types of application

Full plans application

You can use this application for any type of work to any type of building, for example:
  • new buildings
  • extensions
  • loft conversions
  • alterations
  • change of use of the building
  • commercial buildings.
If you need to build over or close to a public sewer, you will need to make a full planning application. You will also need to make a 'build-over' application to Thames Water.

With your full plans application, you need to send: 
  • plans of the building you want to build, drawn to scale (two copies)
  • specifications such as building notes
  • structural calculations such as those for loading
  • a plan of the location of the building, drawn to scale
  • the fee.
We will make a decision within five weeks of receiving your application, or within two months by agreement (see online application form). But we try to check your plans and reply with comments within ten working days.

If you are building or making changes to a workplace such as a: 
  • shop
  • factory
  • office
  • public building.
we will need four copies of the plans.

Read the guidance notes for a full plans application before you apply.

Building notice application

A building notice is for minor building works such as:
  • removing a chimney breast
  • re-covering a roof
  • installing or altering a kitchen, toilet or bathroom which includes drainage (if you are not sure whether you need approval, contact us)
  • converting an attached garage into a living area
  • knocking down a wall
  • replacing windows (unless you are self-certifying)
  • building an extension
  • building or extending a basement
  • putting in cavity insulation (unless you are self-certifying). 
If you plan to build an extension, you will need to provide a location plan, drawn to scale (not less than 1:1250), which shows the building and boundaries.

If you want to build an extension over a sewer you need to make a full plans application. A building notice is not suitable.

You can start work two working days after we receive your application. You need to tell us when you want to start work, and you can do this by phone or email.

Building notice applications do not give you the same protection as full plans application. You, or the person doing the work, must have a good knowledge of building and know the building regulations.

Read the guidance notes for a building notice application before you apply.

Regularisation application

If you make a change to or extend a building without approval it could cause problems when you come to sell it.

‘Regularisation’ is a way to get approval for work already done, by checking that the work is of a good standard.

We can do this for building work done after 11 November 1985. The work must meet the standards that were current at the time when you did the building work.
You must send the right fee with your application.

We will inspect the work and may tell you to open it up so that we can see that it is up to standard.

When we receive your application we will decide whether to give you a regularisation certificate. Sending the form does not mean that you automatically get a certificate.

Read the guidance notes for a regularisation application before you apply.

If you want more information on making an application, call the duty officer on 020 3373 8200 between 9 and 10.30am, Monday to Friday.

Book a building control inspection 


Service plans for building inspections

Site inspections are an important part of making sure that you meet safety standards. For the latest inspection service plans, go to the Local Authority Building Control website.

Fees for building control applications

Newham has a building control charging scheme.

If you have a question about fees or you want to make a payment on the phone, please call 020 3373 8200.
If you want to pay by cheque, make sure you write the site address clearly on the back of the cheque and send it to us at the address above.

Choosing a builder

If you plan to use a builder for any work on your property, it is important to think about your choice very carefully. Thoroughly check any builders before using them.

For large projects, think about using an independent professional such as an architect, surveyor or building engineer to advise you. We cannot help you with this choice, but before employing a builder think about the following points.
  • Talk to your professional adviser about the extent of your contract with the builder.
  • Does it include the preparation of plans only or is supervision of the site included?
  • If you think your project is too small to need a professional, get advice from someone within the building industry who you know and trust.
  • Remember that we are always available to give you advice. You can ring the duty officer on 020 3373 8200, between 9 and 10.30am Monday to Friday.
  • For help finding a builder, go to the Federation of Master Builders’ Find-a-builder website.

Points to remember when starting a building project

Always get quotations (at least three) and ask your professional adviser to check them. And don't always go for the cheapest quote.

Ask the builder these questions.
  • Are you happy to use the new Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) building contract for home owners / occupiers
  • Where have you worked before?
  • Are you happy for me to see your previous work?
  • Can you supply references from satisfied clients?
  • What is your experience in this kind of project ?
  • How do you want to be paid, when you finish or in stages?
  • Will you give me a finish date?
  • Will you accept a penalty clause on failure to complete on time?
  • Will you agree to me writing a letter of agreement covering the main points of the job, including: work to be done; agreed price; start and finish dates and payment methods?
  • Will you agree to arbitration if I have any dispute? (Arbitration is the judging of a dispute by someone not involved in it.)
And check out the builder's work, references and other things, such as working habits, with previous clients.
Ask questions now; don't wait until it's too late.

Find out about a property’s history

You can find out about the history of a property and other building control information from our Public Access page.

When you don’t need building control approval

Sometimes you don't need approval for building work, but there are strict rules. Unless you have a professional adviser you will need to check if your work needs approval before you start. If you don’t check, you may have to make costly changes later on. Find out more about work which does not need building control approval.  

Newham Building Control

We offer a friendly, high-quality and cost-effective service. And we have experience in: 
  • building construction
  • geotechnics
  • structural and civil engineering
  • fire safety and fire engineering
  • drainage and sanitation
  • access and facilities for people with disabilities
  • energy conservation
  • public safety.

Boundary disputes

My neighbour has built onto my land and/or water is now coming into my property from my neighbour’s; what can I do?

These problems are not for the council to sort out. We suggest that, firstly, you speak to your neighbour and try to sort the problem out. If this does not work, you may need to take further action. The Citizens Advice Bureau can give you information and advice.

Where can I find more information about boundary disputes and problems?

We cannot interfere in boundary disputes and problems. We suggest that, firstly, you speak to your neighbour and try to sort the problem out. If this doesn’t work, you may need to take further action. The Citizens Advice Bureau can give you information and advice. You may need to speak to a solicitor.

My neighbour's builder is making noise, creating dust, throwing old tiles/bricks from the building or generally making a nuisance.

In some circumstances, we can help, go to My Newham and report it. Or go to the Health and Safety Executive website. 

Useful building control websites


Complaints about our Building Control Service

To make a complaint go to the Complaints and compliments page.

Renovating and extending your home advice

If you would like guidance and information on renovating or extending your home take a look at the latest eBooks from Newham and Local Authority Building Control (LABC):

The eBooks are specific to Newham and are full of helpful information from planning your project to completing the work.

Back to top