Building control

Application types: Full plans application

You can use this application for any type of work to any type of building, for example: 

  • New buildings 
  • Extensions 
  • Loft conversions 
  • Alterations 
  • Change of use of the building 
  • Commercial buildings. 

If you need to build over or close to a public sewer, you will need to make a full planning application. You will also need to make a 'build-over' application to Thames Water.

 With your full plans application, you need to send:  

  • Plans of the building you want to build, drawn to scale (two copies) 
  • Specifications such as building notes 
  • Structural calculations such as those for loading 
  • A plan of the location of the building, drawn to scale 
  • The fee. 

We will make a decision within five weeks of receiving your application, or within two months by agreement (see online application form). But we try to check your plans and reply with comments within ten working days. 

If you are building or making changes to a workplace we will need four copies of the plans. This applies to buildings including: 

  • Shop 
  • Factory 
  • Office 
  • Public building. 

Read the guidance notes for a full plans application (PDF) before you apply. 

Make a full plans application

Alternatively, you are able to complete an application and email the application to

Full plans application form (PDF)