warning icon
activeNewham network systems are not working ​Le​isure centres and call centre online systems currently not working. Problems with calls to and from call centre.​ Leisure centres are open. Apologies for any inconvenience.​

Council housing rent arrears

We understand that sometimes things go wrong and you may not be able to pay your rent on time.

Letters falling through a letterbox

​If you think you are going to be in arrears

If you are facing financial difficulties and think you are going to be in rent arrears you should contact your income collection officer as soon as possible. You can:
  • call us on 020 8430 2000 and ask for the Housing Income and Collection Team
  • write to Housing Income and Collection Team
    Bridge House
    320 High Street
    E15 1EP
  • email your income collection officer  directly using the email address on letters they have sent to you
  • email
Do not delay - the problem may get worse if you ignore it.
Do not ignore letters from us about arrears. Contact us so that we can help you to find solutions to your money problems.

If you are affected by the Bedroom Tax

If you are a council tenant affected by the Bedroom Tax and are struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to move to a smaller home by joining the housing register or exchanging your tenancy. Your income collection officer will also be able to tell you if you qualify for more financial help.

How we can help you

We will:
  • advise you on how to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction if you are on a low income
  • advise you on claiming other benefits and where to go for more advice on benefits or arrange for you to see a specialist adviser.

Debt and welfare advice

Find out about which benefits you can claim.

What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?

If you owe rent you will not be able to:
  • insure your home contents with our insurance scheme
  • rent a garage from us
  • carry out a mutual exchange of your council home
  • get a good reference from us for a building society or bank should you want to buy your home
  • transfer from one council home to another and you may be refused other benefits associated with being a council tenant.
We may take court action against you, which could lead to you being evicted from your home.

Court action

If we take you to court and get a possession order and money judgement, you will:
  • have to pay our costs
  • lose the right to buy your home
  • have difficulty getting credit or loans.

Former tenant arrears

If you still owe money from a previous tenancy or you owe us court costs you will need to repay us.
If you are currently a council tenant we will set up a rent sub-account and attach it to your main rent account.
Back to top

Contact us

  • Resident Services
    Bridge House
    320 Stratford High Street
    E15 1EP

    020 3373 3256

    Email us