Registration corrections

​Corrections to certificates can be made in some circumstances by our register office.​
When applying to correct a registration you will need to complete a correction application form, which you can download from the GOV.UK website.

Once completed you will need to take the form to the Register Office, now located at Newham Town Hall, Barking Road, East Ham, E6 2RP. 
With effect from 1 November 2017 fees are charged for a correction application, ranging from £75.00 to £90.00 depending on how the correction application needs to be processed.
This fee is a consideration fee and must be paid regardless of whether the correction goes ahead or not and is non-refundable.  
If the application requires referral to and authorisation by the General Register Office the higher fee will be payable. 
This fee does not include the cost for a certificate after the correction is completed. This will be paid separately after the correction is completed if one is required.
Once the correction has been authorised we will contact you with a reference number which will enable you to make an online appointment if you choose to attend to witness the correction.

If you require any further advice you can call the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837.

Birth registration corrections

You can apply for a birth registration correction when the information is wrong, for example a mistake made when recording a parent’s occupation.

You can’t apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you’ve registered your child’s birth, for example you change your name after getting married again. However, you can book an appointment with us to re-register the birth​.
You can obtain further information about correcting a birth registration on the GOV.UK website.

Marriage certificate corrections

If there are any errors on a marriage certificate you can correct the original registration with the Newham register office or the General Register Office​.

Corrections can only be made when the information in a marriage register is wrong, for example a mistake made when recording a person’s occupation.

You can’t apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after the marriage.

You’ll need to find out if the mistake was made when entering information in the marriage register or just on the marriage certificate. To do this contact:
  • the register office where your civil marriage took place
  • the officer who was responsible for registering your religious marriage or the person who is responsible now
If the details in the register are correct, and the mistake was made when copying the details from the register onto the certificate, you can order a new copy of the certificate.

If the mistake is in the original registration you’ll need to apply to the General Register Office (GRO) to make this correction.

The original information will always be shown in the marriage register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out more details on what corrections can be made to a marriage certificate, who can apply, and how long it takes.

Death registration corrections

You can’t change a death certificate once it’s been issued, but you can apply to get a note added to the original entry in the death register.

You can then get an updated certificate issued that shows this note.

Corrections to a death registration can only be made when the information is wrong, for example a mistake in spelling a person’s name.

You can apply for a correction at  the register office where the death was registered (for minor mistakes in a date of death, birthplace or address) - book an appointment now.

For more detailed information on correcting a death certificate visit the GOV.UK website.

If you’re unsure who to apply to, contact the Newham Register Office​ or the General Register Office (GRO).

The General Register Office helpline is 0300 123 1837.
Please ensure that you arrive on time for the appointment. If you arrive later than  your appointment start time, you will be required to re-book.​​
In order to use our online forms you will need to create a personal account on My Newham. Please be aware that if you choose to reschedule an existing appointment your original booking will be cancelled automatically.
Back to top