Benefits you may be able to claim

On a low income/unable to work

Find out about support and benefits for people who are on a low income, looking for work or sick and unable to work.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new single monthly payment which merges six benefits (legacy benefits) including:

  • Income support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing benefit
  • Child tax credits
  • Working tax credits

If you’re not already entitled to them, you can no longer claim most of these benefits. But some people can still claim housing benefit and everyone liable for council tax can apply for a council tax reduction.

Once you have claimed Universal Credit you will not be able to go back to the legacy benefits so it is recommended that you seek professional benefits advice to ensure you are aware of your options.

Sick and unable to work 

If you have a health condition, whether it’s a long term or chronic illness, or you are recovering, there’s a range of benefits that may be able to support you.  

Statutory Sick Pay 

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) may be paid regularly by your employer for up to 28 weeks if you are an employee and off work sick. 

Find out more about SSP and if you qualify on the website 

Employment and Support Allowance 

Employment and Support Allowance is a regular payment you may be able to get if you are not working because you are sick or disabled. If you are able to work, it also provides support to help you get a suitable job and so be better off. 

Find out if you could qualify for Employment and Support Allowance on the website 

Incapacity Benefit 

Incapacity Benefit has now been replaced by Employment and Support Allowance and you can no longer start a new claim. 

Find out more about Incapacity Benefit on the website. 

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is a regular payment you may be able to get if you are sick or disabled because of something that happened in connection with your work. 

Find out if you qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit on the website  

NHS Low Income Scheme 

NHS Low Income Scheme offers help with certain health costs including prescriptions, eye care, dental care and travel. 

See what help may be available to you on the NHS website