Council Tax Reduction

Who may be eligible for a council tax reduction (CTR)?

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your council tax in the form of a council tax reduction or CTR.  

Council tax reductions may be granted to people under a range of circumstances including, but not limited to people who are: 

  • Receiving other benefits, tax credits, or pensions 
  • Working 
  • Unemployed 
  • Unable to work due to illness or disability 
  • Caring for a child or adult 
  • A student who is liable for council tax 
  • Retired

Anyone who may be experiencing financial difficulty or who is on a low income, regardless of whether any of the above criteria apply to them, can request a council tax reduction. But not everyone who makes a claim will be granted a CTR.  

You will not be eligible for a CTR if you have more than £16,000 in savings, stocks and shares or other capital unless you also receive Guaranteed Pension Credit. The best way to find out if you can get CTR is to make a claim. 

Apply for a council tax reduction