Council Tax Reduction

How much of a Council Tax Reduction will I receive?

Working-age adults can get Council Tax Reduction of up to 90% off their council tax bill. 

Every working-age resident in Newham must pay at least 10% of their council tax bill. 

If you are a pensioner, your council tax reduction will apply to the whole of your bill. 

A pensioner is someone who has reached the qualifying age for state pension credit. You can use the State Pension calculator on the Government’s website to find out if you have reached the qualifying age. 

How and when you will receive your Council Tax Reduction 

When we receive your claim and any supporting information we will decide if you are entitled to a Council Tax Reduction. We will use your Council Tax Reduction award to reduce the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

If you are entitled to a Council Tax Reduction the amount will be shown on your bill.

If your Council Tax Reduction doesn't cover the whole of your council tax bill you will have to make arrangements with us to pay the rest of your council tax.