Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction disputes and appeals

If you don’t understand or disagree with our Council Tax Reduction decision you can ask for an explanation or dispute the decision.

Get an explanation or dispute the decision

Check your Council Tax Reduction is correct

Every time we make a decision on your Council Tax Reduction we will send you a notification letter. If the decision changes the amount of council tax you have to pay, you will also receive a new council tax bill.

This will tell you how much reduction you will receive or if you do not qualify for a reduction. You should check this letter carefully.

If any of the information is wrong, missing or you are unsure about it you should contact us as soon as possible.

If you don't understand the decision

You can ask us to either explain our decision verbally or provide you an explanation in writing.

If you think our decision is wrong 

If you think we have made a mistake, or you have information or evidence that you believe will change our decision, you can ask us to look again at our decision.

We will look at the decision again and advise you in writing whether the decision has been changed or if it will stay the same.

Appeal our decision to the Valuation Tribunal

You must have asked us to look again at the decision first before you can appeal to the independent Valuation Tribunal

Appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal

There is more information about the appeal process on the Valuation Tribunal website.

Who can request an explanation or dispute a decision

A request for an explanation or a dispute of a decision can only be made by a person liable for Council Tax or someone appointed by them or with power of attorney to act on their behalf.

If you ask us to look at our decision again or you appeal to the Valuation Tribunal, you must still pay your Council Tax while you wait for a reply.