Council Tax Reduction

How to apply for a CTR

You can apply for a council tax reduction online or by post. In this section you can find out how to apply and what information we will need from you to assess your application.   

Apply for a council tax reduction 

If you’re unable to complete the online claim form, we can send you a paper claim form. Please call us on 020 8430 2000 to request a paper claim form. 

Completing a paper application form 

You must follow the instructions on the form, tick the relevant boxes, and make sure you fill it in completely. The form looks long, but we need to ask questions to make sure everyone gets the right amount of benefit. 

If someone else fills in the form for you, they must sign it in the space provided. 

If you need help filling in the form, we can arrange for someone to visit you. To make an appointment call us on 020 8430 2000. 

Send your completed form to: 

Newham council tax and benefits service 
PO Box 23504 
E15 4UU 

Proof of identity and evidence  

There are certain documents that we will need to see in order to validate your claim. You can submit your proof of identity and any evidence to support your CTR claim online or by post. 

When you complete the online evidence form, you can upload scanned documents or digital photos to support your claim for council tax reduction. Digital photos of the evidence can be taken on a smart phone or tablet. 

Your uploaded files need to be clearly readable. If we cannot read your documents, it will take longer to process your claim. You can upload files in any of the following formats: JPEG, JPG, JPE, GIF, PDF, PNG.  

Submit evidence