Our Newham Money offers support to Newham residents who may be struggling with debt or the pressure of the rising cost of living.
Many people are struggling as the cost of living rapidly increases. If you find yourself struggling with energy, food costs, facing hardship, or emergency you can apply for Our Newham Money Hardship Support.
Who can get Hardship support?
You can apply for Our Newham Hardship Support if you:
- Are aged over 16 and the person liable for the household bills
- Are a Newham resident or have been place out of Borough by Newham temporary accommodation
- Have less than £1000 in savings on the day before the last main payment (Universal Credit/wages).
- Are in receipt* of a qualifying benefit such as:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit
- Income related
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
*If you are not in receipt of a qualify benefit but can demonstrate hardship you should still apply.
Our Newham Money Hardship Support Scheme is discretionary, which means that, unlike other benefits you do not have a legal right to get help. If you are in severe need but you think you don’t meet the criteria you should still contact us.
What type of support can be provided?
- Other items can be considered in exceptional circumstances.
The support can be provided in a number of different ways including supermarket vouchers and BACs payments depending on the support required.
All applications will be treated individually on their own merits. The award is discretionary and based on funds available to the Council.
Currently the Our Newham Money Hardship Support Scheme incorporates the Governments Household Support Fund.
Apply - Hardship Support Scheme Application Form
The support allows residents who face a variety of challenges, time to find alternative solutions to shortfalls in income and help with the cost of living on a short term and temporary basis and it should not be seen as a permanent solution.