Hardship support scheme

Household Support Fund - April 2023- March 2024

The Household Support Scheme is intended to alleviate hardship and support those most in need that have been affected by the significant rise in cost of living and are suffering financial hardship.

The Household Support Fund is funded entirely by the Government via the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Hardship Support Scheme is fully funded by the Council.

The Household Support Fund is designed to provide short-term urgent financial help to Newham residents who are struggling to afford household essentials such as buying food and paying for prepayment meter energy bills.

You can also find a list of additional household help and support.

Local and national support

You can also find a list of additional household help and support.

Cost of living website – The government is offering help for households. See what cost of living support you could be eligible for.

Cost of living support: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) GOV.uk guidance on what support is available to help with the cost of living.

Cost of living payment  – GOV.UK guidance on getting an extra payment to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits.

GOV.UK Benefits calculators

GOV.UK Pension Credit calculator

Understanding Universal Credit

Your questions answered

  • Can I get help if I go to work or if I am retired, or if I do not work at all?

Yes, provided you can show that you are struggling to pay for essentials.

  • Will a Household Support Fund affect my benefits?

No, it will not affect your benefits.

  • What happens next?

The application will be reviewed by Our Newham Money who will confirm the outcome of your application award where applicable.

  • What if I can’t apply through the website?

The quickest way for you to apply is online

If you don’t have online access and need support to apply – Please phone Our Newham Money 020 8430 2041 and an adviser will help you make an application.

  • Fraudulent Claims

Where Newham Council suspects that fraud may have occurred, it will investigate the matter as appropriate, this may lead to criminal proceedings.

If a claimant attempts to claim an award from the Household Support Fund by making a false declaration or providing false evidence they may have committed an office under the Theft Act 1968.

  • Immigration status

Our Newham Money cannot provide any advice on how an award may affect your status in the UK or any support you are receiving from the Home Office, please seek independent advice before making an application.