Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit appeals and disputes

If you don’t understand or disagree with our Housing Benefit decision you can ask for an explanation or dispute the decision.

Get an explanation or dispute the decision

Check your benefit decision is correct 

Every time we make a decision on your Housing Benefit we will send you a notification decision letter.

This letter will tell you the periods your Housing Benefit covers, how it is worked out, and what income we have used. You should check this letter carefully.

If any of the information is wrong, missing or you are unsure about it you should contact us as soon as possible.

If you don't understand the decision 

Within a month of you being notified of the decision you can ask us to either explain our decision verbally or provide you an explanation in writing. 

If you think our decision is wrong 

If you think we have made a mistake, or you have information or evidence that you think will change our decision, you can ask us to look again at the decision.

We suggest that you ask us to look again at the decision before requesting an appeal. But if you still think our decision is wrong you can ask to appeal the decision to an independent tribunal.

We will look at the decision again and advise you in writing whether the decision has been changed or if it will stay the same. 

Who can request an explanation or dispute a decision 

An explanation or a dispute of a decision can only be made by a person affected by the decision. This is:

  • The person claiming housing benefit
  • Someone appointed by the claimant or with power of attorney to act on their behalf
  • The landlord or agent, but only regarding who the housing benefit is paid to or if we decide to recover a housing benefit overpayment from them.