Licences for animal related businesses

Dangerous wild animals licence

If you want to keep wild or dangerous animals that are listed by under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, you must have a licence, which is issued by us.

Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 

Government list of wild and dangerous animals 

Animals for which you need a licence include:

  • Wild cats
  • Monkeys and apes
  • Wolves
  • Crocodiles
  • Certain poisonous snakes
  • Certain spiders.

If your animal is of mixed type or is cross-bred, you may still need a licence. If you’re not sure whether you need one or not, complete our online enquiry form.

You must have a licence before you obtain a dangerous wild animal. 

Apply for a licence

Licence fees

The cost of a licence is £350, with an additional charge for the cost of an examination by a vet as this is a legal requirement.

After you submit your application, make a note of the reference number and write it on the back of a cheque payable to the London Borough of Newham.

Send your cheque to: 

Animal Welfare
Central Depot
Folkestone Road
E6 4BX

Licence conditions

Each licence will have conditions, which will vary depending on the type of animal. These conditions could include:

  • Where you keep the animal
  • Where you can move the animal to
  • Public liability insurance.
  • Who owns your premises as please note some housing provides do not allow dangerous wild animals in their housing stock.

Dangerous wild animals: our inspections

We will inspect your premises, with a vet , before we agree to give you a licence. We may also inspect your premises at any time after we issue you a licence as part of the licence conditions.

All licences last for two years, and they run from January until December the following year.

Renew a licence to keep a dangerous wild animal

If you already have a licence, we will write to you to tell you when you need to renew it.

To renew your licence, you can complete the application form online.

Then send a cheque with your application renewal reference number to:

Animal Welfare
Central Depot
Folkestone Road
E6 4BX

It is your legal responsibility to make sure that you have a current licence.