Licences for animal related businesses

Home boarding licence

You need a licence to look after other people's dogs in your own home even if you only provide day care and no overnight boarding. This is to ensure the welfare of the animals and the safety of the public A day care licence is only for operators of commercial premises which provide doggy day care not care in a domestic home environment as explained on page 9 . Newham Council is the licensing authority for home boarders in Newham.

If you are interested in obtaining a home boarding licence, please email us at or telephone 020 8586 9739 for further information and an application.

Inspections of home boarding premises

The London Borough of Newham will inspect your premises to ensure you can comply with all the general and specific conditions as required by Schedule 2 and Schedule 4 of The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, before the London Borough of Newham agree to issue  you a licence and may also inspect at any time after we issue you with a licence in line with the regulations. The length and cost of the licence depends on the star rating you receive after inspection.

Renew a licence for home boarding

If you already have a licence, we will write to you to tell you when you need to renew it.

If you are unsure if you require a licence please contact the animal welfare service before boarding any animals to prevent potential legal action being taken or a warning being issued as this may affect you being able to apply for a licence in the future.