Children in Care and Care Leavers

Your social worker

When you come into care, you will have your own social worker who is responsible for making sure you are happy in your new home and are being properly cared for.

If you are in foster care, your foster carers will also have their own social worker.

You can talk to your social worker about anything that you might be worried about.        

What your social worker should do

Your social worker should work with you, your carers and (if it is appropriate) your parents to make plans for your future. They are your main point of contact and support and will help you to have your say in planning your care and your looked-after child review meetings, making sure that we know your feelings and wishes and that we think about them.

It takes time for them and you, to get to know each other. But this is important so they can listen to you and make sure you are being well treated.

They will also:

  • Help you to keep in touch with your carers, relatives and friends or explain to you why this may not be possible
  • Help you to have your say at meetings where decisions are being made about your care
  • Explain your rights, the plans for your future and how you can have your say on these plans
  • Help you to get the most out of your education
  • Make sure you get any health care or advice you need and that you have a health assessment every year. We want you to be physically and emotionally healthy
  • Make sure your carers encourage you to go to all your medical appointments such as the dentist and optician, and that you have information and advice on sexual health, drugs and alcohol when you are older
  • Tell you how to make a complaint.