Our Newham Work
Newham Council's Supported Employment Team offer individual employment support to people with health and social care needs to:
- Get into paid or self-employment.
- Stay in employment
- Get advice on opportunities to develop and improve in their role.
To qualify for the service, you must be:
- an adult with health and/or social care needs OR
- a carer.
Support provided by the team
Looking for work:
- Identifying ambitions, learning needs and individual skills
- CV preparation
- Sourcing employment opportunities tailored to candidates' individual needs.
- In-work support to help you stay employed
- Work related training
- Understanding in-work benefits and tax credits.
- Raising awareness about disabilities and health and social care needs
- Advising on support available
- Encouraging them to be positive about the skills that people with health and social needs bring to the business.
Support provided by your Employment Support Officer will be tailored to your requirements.
The Supported Employment Team received the Team of the Year Award from the British Association for Supported Employment (BASE) 2016 after more than doubling its target for the number of people it helped during its first full year in operation.
The team was set up following a review of how the council could improve the quality of life for disabled people including helping them become more independent by gaining and retaining employment or setting up their own businesses.