Benefits of quitting
When you stop smoking you experience positive changes as a result.
- After 20 minutes Pulse return to normal.
- After 8 hours Nicotine is reduced by 90% and carbon monoxide levels in blood (from cigarette smoke) reduce by 75%.
- Circulation improves.
- After 24 hours Carbon monoxide and nicotine almost eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out smoking debris.
- After 48 hours All traces of nicotine are removed from the body. The ability to taste and smell improves. 72 hours Breathing is easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.
- After 2-12 weeks Circulation improves.
- After 1 month Physical appearance improves – skin loses its grey pallor and becomes less wrinkled.
- After 3-9 months Coughing and wheezing is reduced.
- After 1 year Excess risk of a heart attack reduces by half.
- After 10 years Risk of lung cancer falls to about half that of a continuing smoker.
- After 15 years Risk of a heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.